Welcome to the Museum of the Albemarle!
Since its founding in 1967, the Museum of the Albemarle has been an exciting place to explore the local North Carolina history and history of the Albemarle region. The opening of the new facility in 2005 opened the door for exciting exhibits, programs, and events. The museum encourages visitors to discover the past; reflect on their own lives and their place in history; and preserve state, regional, and local history for future generations.
Effective Monday, March 7, masks will be optional for all visitors and staff at the Museum of the Albemarle.
Please continue to follow us here and on social media for the most up-to-date information. We look forward to seeing you!
There is no admission; however, donations are appreciated. Our hours of operation are as follows:
- Monday - Saturday: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Sunday - Closed
- Closed all State holidays
Museum Gift Shop hours of operation:
- Monday - Saturday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
The museum is in downtown Elizabeth City across from Waterfront Park on the Pasquotank River.
Street address: 501 South Water Street, Elizabeth City, NC 27909.
Handicap Accessible Entrance in front of the museum. Click here for more on accessibility.
Wheelchairs for interior use are available free of charge. Please speak with our reception staff to use a wheelchair.
All exhibits are designed to be self-guided and enjoyed at your own pace. Groups may register for specialized tours and programming upon availability with two weeks advance reservations. Call (252) 335-1453 to register for a specialized tour.
Self-Guided Tours: Discover the exhibits at your own pace. Tour the feature exhibit “Our Story” that offers visitors the opportunity to view the unique history of the people and the land of the Albemarle Region.
Audio Tours make it easy to navigate the museum and ensure that you can see the best we have to offer. Access our audio tour directly on your cell phone and web-enabled devices via MOA.OnCell.com or by calling the OnCell Narrator at (252) 548-6213. We encourage visitors to utilize headphones or earbuds when listening to the audio tour. Please speak with someone at the second-floor reception desk if you have neither.
Guided Tours: Please call 252-335-1453 for more information about tours and activities below:
- CARTifacts Gallery Carts are presented periodically in our galleries. See the second-floor reception desk if one is available during your visit.
- Gallery Backpacks: Children can check out backpacks filled with extra enhancing activities to subjects presented within Our Story. Check out a backpack at the second-floor reception desk.
- Drop-in-Friday: Drop in the museum to enjoy a featured program or activity Fridays from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. This program utilizes storytelling, activities, costumed interpretation, or demonstrations. Programs will vary from week to week.
What to See and Do
We change out our displays regularly.
A Blue Star Museum
The Museum of the Albemarle is proud to be a Blue Star Museum. This program offers free admission to museums for all active duty, National Guard, and Reserve military personnel and their families.